A lot of you have been asking us to release the MotCamera APK, and today we're going to grant this wish. There are a few drawbacks, so I don't know if you're going to start using it as a daily driver just yet - it's more so you can play around with the interface and get a good feel for it. Maybe it'll even convince you to buy the Moto X when it comes out?
- The camera runs fine.
- Single shots.
- Burst shots.
- Video recording.
- Front-facing camera toggle.
- Swipe to open settings.
- Swipe to open gallery, which asks which gallery app you want to launch.
- Touch to focus toggle.
- Flash mode toggle.
- Shutter sound toggle.
- Geo-tag toggle.
What doesn't work
- Double-flick wrist gesture to launch the camera anytime.
- Panorama mode currently crashes. It seems to be missing a required class, and I'm not sure whether we'd be able to fix it or not. If we can, I'll post an updated APK. For the interested, the error log is here.
- HDR mode is disabled and cannot be enabled.
- Slow-motion mode is disabled and cannot be enabled.
The APK was tested on a Nexus 4 running android 4.3 and a Note II running Android 4.1.2. The results were identical.
Some photo samples:
Left: flash on; Right: flash off
Left: touch-to-focus disabled; Right: touch-to-focus enabled